Friday, March 13, 2009

Day 30 - Thank Zeus I have health insurance


Holy Cow! ACL surgery is vastly more expensive than I thought. I received my health insurance statement on the billing for my ACL surgery and it is staggering. My surgeon's charges amounted to $10,455.00. The center where I had the surgery billed $17,293.00. The anesthesiologist, who probably should've earned 10 times this amount because I didn't feel a thing, charged $1,328.05 for his services. The grand total comes out to $29,076.05. I have no idea how these guys stay in business though, because my health insurance only doled out $4,694.98. Under the terms of my insurance, I had to put in another $470, but even with that addition, that means the providers only got about 16% of their total bill.

And there's still the physical therapy appointments (twice a week for the next few months) and the follow-up office visits to the surgeon.

If I didn't have health insurance, I wouldn't be able to afford this. So I guess I'd just have to try to find this guy and see if he'd give me a deal on the cost of the surgery:


Or I'd just have to limp around on one leg for the rest of my life. Anybody for universal health care coverage?

No comments:

Post a Comment