Sunday, March 22, 2009

Day 40 - Back in the saddle


Today, I rode my bike for the first time since the surgery. It was a leisurely 43 minutes, but not bad for the first time back. My knee felt OK for the most part, although there were a few twinges and odd feelings because it's a bit different riding a real bike versus the exercise bike in the gym I've been pedaling away on for the past couple of weeks.

I realized it'd been about 3 months since I've been on the bike because I didn't ride for about 2 months before the surgery. I could tell it'd been a while because at one point I thought I was flying and looked down at my spedometer and saw I was only doing about 18 m.p.h. That used to be slow for me.

I also learned why I'm not a bike mechanic. It took me hours and hours to set up my front derailleur and I thought I had finally gotten it right. But I quickly realized after setting out that something is definitely wrong because it doesn't shift properly. I have no idea what though. But the good news is that all my overhauled work held together and nothing fell apart or shot off the bike. And the knee feels OK and I seem to be walking normally now that I've gotten the glut. med. firing. So all in all, I'd consider this a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment