Thursday, March 26, 2009

Day 44 - It's alive!


My new ACL is actually an achilles heel tendon from a very generous guy who agreed to donate his organs and other assorted tissues after he died (they use the achilles tendon because it's pretty tough and even after all the treatments it goes through to kill viruses and whatnot, it's still stronger than my original ACL). So this thing was technically dead at some point. And after all the treatments (irradiation and chemicals) and being stored, it had been kaput for quite some time. But now that it's in my knee, my body is now undergoing the process of making it come alive! It takes about a year, but my body will grow new blood vessels into it and essentially turn it into one of its own tissues. Pretty damn cool. Life after death.

And what a great gift from a stranger I'll never meet. So become an organ donor today. Who know who you might help.

No comments:

Post a Comment