Saturday, March 21, 2009

Day 39 - Gluteus vacation


I still have just a slight limp. My left leg does something that's just a bit different from how my right leg moves. I wasn't sure what it was, but my physical therapist said I have a weak gluteus medius (shown in red). This is a close cousin to the gluteus maximus, the big muscle that's also known as da' butt. The glut. med. is just in front of that and on the side of the hip. It helps control your pelvis as you walk and perform other movements. I think it got weak on me because I'd been putting more weight on my right side for a couple of months before the surgery and then continued that after the surgery. The glut. med. on my left side wasn't getting any work so it finally went on a permanent vacation. So I'm doing exercises to strengthen it.

I'm also still working on my VMO. In addition, my bursa on the inside of my knee is inflamed, possible due to my lazy glut. med. It's shown in this picture as the Pes anserinus bursa.


They don't show it on the photo, but the Pes anserinus is just next to what was the Zone of Ouch. That is still a tender region, but it's become more of a Zone of Please Be Gentle than anything else.

I need a vacation. To paraphrase H.L. Mencken, ACL reconstruction ain't for sissies.

No comments:

Post a Comment