Sunday, April 12, 2009

Day 60 - Prevention?


Interesting article here about strengthening programs designed to prevent ACL tears in girl soccer players. As I posted previously, girls are more likely to suffer an ACL tear than boys.

Supposedly, the prevention program discussed in the article --known as Sportsmetrics-- is scientifically proven to reduce noncontact ACL tears. These are tears that occur from twisting or sudden stopping.

But I wonder how good the evidence is? I don't have time to look into it now, but maybe I'll take a gander later. The article says there are several other programs for preventing ACL tears, so that suggests to me that the evidence for any one of them probably isn't all that strong. After all, if one of them worked really well, everybody would gravitate towards that one. But maybe I'm wrong. The programs are centered around strengthening and stretching exercises, so they're probably beneficial for other reasons even if they don't prevent ACL injuries. So there's probably little if any harm from giving them a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment