Sunday, April 26, 2009

Day 75 - Bring it on back


One thing I've learned about recovering from ACL reconstruction is that once one problem goes away, a new one seems to crop up. My bursitis seems to have settled down (largely because I stopping riding my bike), but now I have a huge knot in the back of my knee. It's actually one of the hamstring muscles called the semitendinosus.

The knot has been there since the surgery, but it wasn't causing me any problems. Probably because I didn't have full mobility in my leg up until now. So now when I straighten my leg, this knotted area can take a while to stretch out. Then it seems to be ok. But if I keep my knee bent for any extended length of time, the tightness comes right back.

I'm foam-rolling it and hitting it with The Stick and those seem to help temporarily. I keep making my physical therapist work on it too. But so far, I haven't found a lasting solution. Like the clever Elbert Hubbard said, "Life is just one damn thing after another."

No comments:

Post a Comment