Friday, June 12, 2009

Day 122 - I jump, Leo Kottke plays

At physical therapy today, I did a one-legged jump for distance. I started with my good leg and then tried to match that distance with my bum leg. The first jump on my left knee (the surgically repaired one) felt strange. Several jumps after that continued to feel strange. It was as if I didn't really have a good idea of where my knee/leg was going to wind up.

They say it can take a while to get used to the new ACL in there because it still lacks all the nerves and other things that allow you to sense movement in space. So I suspect it was a combination of that and my own mental blocks of worrying that my knee wasn't yet strong enough to withstand the force of jumping and landing.

But after about 10 or so jumps, it began to feel more or less kind of normal. I was still worried about the landing though.

I never quite matched the distance of my good leg, but I came pretty close. My physical therapist said I was doing better than most. I told her it was because I didn't ice my knee.

Later, I went to see the amazing guitarist Leo Kottke. If you've never heard his music, you should check it out. And he tells pretty funny stories in between songs, so if you can, see him live.

No comments:

Post a Comment